KYC implementation for the DAO-members

Recently there was a proposal on Snapshot named “Investigate airdrop farming and exclude large sybil attackers”

Nowadays large farmers receive disproportionately large shares in everything in crypto.
Investigation of the linked wallets is not always possible, due to the methods of bypassing the direct connections between various wallets (e.g. depositing funds with exchanges wallets that makes investigation impossible)

So to decrease the number of dishonest NFT owners my proposal is to add a KYC to the DexGuru project.
This will lower the possible cheating with farms and multiaccounting in decision-making process inside our DAO.

First of all DAO is about decentralisation. Democratic votings imply many votes of independent entities, not a large shareholder arbitraments.

14 Likes

KYC implementation sounds like a large overhead for the path to DAO bootstrap goals we outlined previously: GuruDAO Bootstrap Guide - DexGuru

Not to mention that it isn’t much decentralized.

23 Likes

Another thing to consider is that the vast majority of people in this space feel that KYC is antithetical to the crypto ethos. Adding such a requirement to the DAO would likely make it such that the only remaining DAO members are people who don’t understand much about crypto. Anti-sybilling really is not worth such a cost.

6 Likes

For the last year there were only few serious projects without KYC requirement. All the platforms (CEX, IDO/ICO do require it)
I see nothing bad in KYC. It allows you to know exactly who you are dealing with.
In case of DexGuru and possible airdrop it will lower the number of cheaters as I said in the initial message of the proposal.

In that way we are moving from DEXGuru to CEXGuru. I cant even imagine how much will it cost in means of money and time to implement that ( if it pass voting).

1 Like

Traditional KYC means that we need to add a centralised entity to verify identities. This entity would have authority to decide who can join the DAO. It is virtually impossible to know if they are acting honestly, or made any mistakes.

Many people are working on decentralised identity systems (“proof of humanity”) but I don’t think the technology is ready right now.

5 Likes

Guys I think you confuse the meaning of the words “decentralisation” and “anonymity”.
The definition of the decentralisation doesn’t implicate anonymity. And likewise

I haven’t caught your idea of deciding by someone (KYC operator?) who is aplicable to join DAO or not.
The proposal is just about making clear who are in the DAO in terms of personalities, not about citizenship limitations or something like that.
And yes, one entity couldn’t have more than one NFT. It’s a fair democratic (read DAO) approach

I also say, NO to KYC , cheers

Dont know how to make a 100 character to post this comment, but once again my one vote is No to the KYC.

6 Likes

Am I seeing this right? KYC will defeat the purpose of Defi. If you really want KYC then why not use CeFI instead? I couldn’t agree with you, there could be another way to stop Sybil attacks and airdrop farmers. But KYC is not the solution.

2 Likes

It’s against decentralization bro and DexGuru is a decentralized platform so this proposal is against DexGuru’s roadmap.

1 Like

Am I seeing this right? KYC will defeat the purpose of Defi. If you really want KYC then why not use CeFI instead? I couldn’t agree with you, there could be another way to stop Sybil attacks and airdrop farmers. But KYC is not the solution.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.